Title

Archaeological Testing at the Head's/Healan's Mill Site (9HL607) in Lula, Georgia

Proposal Type

Poster

Additional Presenter Information

William M. Balco, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, Department of History, Anthropology, and Philosophy, Dahlonega Campus

Keywords

Historic archaeology; industrial archaeology; engaged archaeology; grist mill; Lula, Georgia

Subject Area

History/Anthropology/Philosophy

Start Date

11-11-2016 11:45 AM

End Date

11-11-2016 1:15 PM

Description/Abstract

Archaeological testing at the Head’s/Healan’s Mill site (9HL607), located in Lula, Georgia, explored several portions of the site, including the remains of a raised millrace that supplied water to an overshot water wheel that powered the mill. The Head’s/Healan’s Mill, originally constructed in 1850, remains the sole surviving historic-period grist mill in Hall County and is currently undergoing extensive restoration. This site is but one example of the rural industrial complex present in north Georgia in the mid- to late-19th century. It processed corn, feed, and grain from surrounding farms, contributing to the development of the local community. This poster presents the results of archaeological testing conducted at the site in 2015 and 2016 by student volunteers from UNG. These excavations add to our understanding of the mill and provided students with an opportunity to engage in hands-on archaeological fieldwork. Finally, this poster demonstrates the utility of collaborative archaeological projects that engage UNG students and faculty with community organizations such as the Friends of the Head’s/Healan’s Mill.

Bio

Dr. Balco is an Assistant Professor of Anthropology at University of North Georgia’s Dahlonega campus. His main research focuses on social complexity, material exchange, and pottery analysis in the ancient western Mediterranean, but he also explores historic-period archaeological sites in north Georgia. Anthony Carrino, Matthew O’Leary, and Chloe Perry are undergraduate students at University of North Georgia’s Dahlonega campus.

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Nov 11th, 11:45 AM Nov 11th, 1:15 PM

Archaeological Testing at the Head's/Healan's Mill Site (9HL607) in Lula, Georgia

Archaeological testing at the Head’s/Healan’s Mill site (9HL607), located in Lula, Georgia, explored several portions of the site, including the remains of a raised millrace that supplied water to an overshot water wheel that powered the mill. The Head’s/Healan’s Mill, originally constructed in 1850, remains the sole surviving historic-period grist mill in Hall County and is currently undergoing extensive restoration. This site is but one example of the rural industrial complex present in north Georgia in the mid- to late-19th century. It processed corn, feed, and grain from surrounding farms, contributing to the development of the local community. This poster presents the results of archaeological testing conducted at the site in 2015 and 2016 by student volunteers from UNG. These excavations add to our understanding of the mill and provided students with an opportunity to engage in hands-on archaeological fieldwork. Finally, this poster demonstrates the utility of collaborative archaeological projects that engage UNG students and faculty with community organizations such as the Friends of the Head’s/Healan’s Mill.