Friday, November 10, 2017, from 9:30 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
Dahlonega Campus, Library Technology Center, Third Floor
Call for Proposals
Due date: Friday, October 13, 12:00 p.m.
The Office of Research and Engagement invites faculty and staff to submit abstracts for the 2017 UNG Symposium on Innovation, Research and Engagement (SOIRE), formerly UNG Faculty Research Day. This third annual symposium will showcase faculty and staff scholarship from across all campuses of the university to celebrate our achievements.
This event will be comprised of a one-day conference of individual panel presentations, a poster session, a light lunch reception, and a keynote address. This event is intended as an opportunity to communicate with colleagues about scholarly work and interests, not as a refereed conference; faculty and staff are welcome to present material that has been presented in the past. The keynote address, Building Your Platform as a Public Scholar, will be offered by Dr. Kenneth Carter, Professor of Psychology at Oxford College, Emory University.
We strongly encourage those who have won Presidential Awards to use this opportunity to disseminate their projects and findings. This conference invites proposals representing all classifications of Ernest L. Boyer’s model of scholarship
- Scholarship of Discovery: original research in disciplinary fields
- Scholarship of Integration: synthesis of cross-disciplinary research that leads to original findings
- Scholarship of Engagement: results from the application of academic expertise in mutully-beneficial, reciprocal relationships with community partners
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL): systematic, methodologically-sound research on teaching and learning
Also, we welcome those who have undertaken research related to the principles and work of LEAP (Liberal Education, America’s Promise). See UNG LEAP website for further information about our initiative entitled “Renewing Liberal Education through Faculty-Driven Reform and Innovation.”
Faculty and staff can present with students on undergraduate research, but this is a faculty/staff event. See the Academic Research Conference for student presentations.
|Friday, October 13||12:00 PM||Due date for abstracts|
|Wednesday, October 25||5:00 PM||Notification of Outcome|
|Friday, November 10||9:30 - 10:45||Panels 1 and 2|
|Friday, November 10||10:45-12:00||Poster Presentation/Performances.
Light buffet lunch will be served.
|Friday, November 10||12:00-1:15||Keynote Address- Dr. Kenneth Carter Professor of Psychology, Oxford College, Emory University: Building Your Platform as a Public Scholar|
|Friday, November 10||1:30-2:45||Panel 3|
Dahlonega Campus, Library Technology Center, third floor. This event was on the Gainesville campus last year; we will alternate locations.
Abstracts will be collected within NOIR (Nighthawks Open Institutional Repository). Conference participants will have the option, but are not required, to publish their papers, presentations, or posters within NOIR under a Creative Commons license.
Proposals should include the following information:
- Title of paper, presentation, or poster
- Presenter name, academic title, college and department, and primary campus
- Abstract of 400 words or less
- Biography of 400 words or less
For further information, please contact a member of the steering committee:
- Chair, Dr. Rebecca Johnston, Assistant Director of the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
- Dr. Mary Carney, Director of the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
- Dr. Anastasia Lin, Assistant Vice President - Research and Engagement, Assistant Dean of Student Research and Scholarship
- Dr. Drew Pearl, Director of Academic Engagement
Distance Education and Technology Integration (DETI) offers poster printing services for faculty and students who are presenting at professional conferences or need posters for their classroom. The maximum size poster DETI prints is 42" high x 56" wide and is usually designed in PowerPoint. The average cost of a poster this size, with white background, is around $45.00. See their website for details on how to format a poster. DETI must have a minimum of two weeks lead time to complete your request.